Because it’s the season to be jolly, some great games have gone on sale early into the Yuletide season!
1) Pound for Pound (Universal/FREE) - Manny Pacquiao fans might want to check out this boxing game with an RPG flavor, to throw some fancy punches, rescue a damsel in distress and be Pacquiao for a few hours. The game needs some work in the controls department, but as far as likeness goes, this freebie for a limited time is a must for Pacquiao fans.
2) EPOCH (Universal/$2.99) - Apple’s former Game of the Week for iPad is a futuristic, cover shooting action game boasting of some pretty gorgeous graphics courtesy of UnrealEngine, the guys behind Infinity Blade. Now that it’s on sale for a limited time, make sure you don’t miss it!
3) Mirror’s Edge for iPad (iPad/FREE) - You gotta love EA for their daily freebies! Mirror’s Edge is a platform game where the Runners (such as Faith, the character you’ll be playing) are the last bastion of freedom in a dystopian future. You can do some pretty fancy running and jumping tricks while admiring the city scenery. The iPhone version is also FREE!
The unique time management gameplay of the Farm Frenzy series is back in a bigger, sleeker and better package. Fans of the series will feel at home; newcomers can jump right in and enjoy themselves. Farm Frenzy 2 - Pizza Party HD is highly recommended for casual gamers!
I’m a veteran of the Farm Frenzy (FF) series - then and now, and still hooked on the classic FF time management formula.
Farm Frenzy is not called Farm Frenzy for nothing. This hugely popular time management (TM) game series for the PC is all about farm production but with unique game mechanics. You have at your disposal animals and machines to produce “building blocks” of various farm products, and in this case, ingredients for your very own pizzerias! However, you don’t just produce goods and combine them to create more complex products, you also have to contend with wandering bears that drive away your animals.
Just when you thought the massive Thanksgiving holiday app shopping spree was over, this weekend is just full of more surprises and great deals! There are so many to choose from, but here are some handpicked appSIZED recommendations:
1) Shift 2 Unleashed (iPhone/iPad) - Love racing? Love the Need for Speed series? Then you wouldn’t want to miss EA Mobile’s freebie of the day. Yup, you read it right - it’s FREE.
2) Ninjatown: Trees of Doom (iPhone/iPad) - Climb your way to the top, ninja-style, in this utterly charming game kids will also love. The game is FREE for a limited time to celebrate Venan Entertainment’s new game, Book of Heroes for the iPhone.
3) Unlikely Suspects HD: Full (iPad) - Hidden object adventure fans with a penchant for crime solving ought to check out this interesting title from MumboJumbo games, now on sale for $2.99 only. You might want to check out their other titles, such as the Luxor series and Midnight Mysteries titles, which are also on sale.
4) Space Miner (iPhone/iPad) - One of my favorite games, Space Miner HD makes busting up space rocks awesome thanks to its deep gameplay and wicked sense of humor. The fact that it’s FREE this weekend only is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so grab it now.
The stunning visuals, mysterious and complex storyline, elegantly simple controls and focused, one-on-one combat made Infinity Blade phenomenally successful. Sink your teeth into this incredible sequel, and see for yourself why Infinity Blade II raises the bar even higher for iOS and mobile gaming.
The tyrant god-king, wields the extremely powerful Infinity Blade to perpetuate his reign and draws strength from our hero’s bloodline. Infinity Blade was a never ending cycle of fighting enemies and gaining strength in order to ultimately defeat the god-king. In the hotly anticipated sequel, Infinity Blade II, the storyline delves deeper into the mysterious Deathless ones (introduced in the first, via complex route of exploring the game’s secrets) and our hero’s mysterious origins. Our hero seeks not only to avenge the death of his father (Infinity Blade), but also free the Worker of Secrets from the hands of the Deathless, in order to learn the truth about himself and his bloodline.
Three acclaimed and award-winning puzzle/platformer games, and one beautifully unique tower defense game - you can get them all for just $5 while they are on sale this weekend.
1) Jelly Defense ($0.99/Universal) - You cannot miss 2011′s most engaging and whimsical tower defense game yet! Save these adorable jellies from losing their home and immerse yourself in a beautiful, colorful jelly world. You can read the full review here.
2) Scribblenauts Remix ($0.99/Universal) - Using the power of words, make objects come to life and help solve Max’s various riddles. ou are only limited by your own imagination. This recent Game of the Week makes wordplay exciting, silly and fun.
3) Spirits for iPad ($0.99/iPad) - Unleash your creativity as you guide these spirits home using a bit of ingenuity and skill in guiding them to where the wind literally takes them.
4) Contre Jour HD ($0.99/Universal) - The third puzzle/action/platform to make the cut, this former Game of the Week pick is beloved for its striking visuals, immersive gameplay and haunting soundtrack.
Highly acclaimed and award-winning games all this weekend!
The latest update to iOS 5 is important for a number of reasons, the primary one being that it lets us users get a taste of how it is to be able to download software updates directly to our mobile device. This means update anytime, anywhere, without PC tethering.
One touted feature of iOS 5 for iPads, iPhone and iPod Touch is the wireless syncing and updating of your iDevice without having to be physically connected to your PC. Back in the day, it was simply a pain to download software updates via iTunes or even directly download the firmware- the perpetually busy iTunes server usually timed out on me just before the update was finished.
Of course, the prospect of a direct download now available on iOS 5 can be scary. A critical question is, how big a file is an update and how fast will it download and install? What about our data? What if it gets lost in the installation process? Having successfully updated to iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone and iPad 2, here are some tips: