The 2011 Best App Ever Awards is a great way to recognize our favorite games and apps as well as discover new ones from among the nominees. In its fourth year running, a staggering 287,643 nominations were placed by users at the site between November 22nd and December 31st, 2011.
It was not easy coming up with appSIZED’s Top 10 games for 2011. This year, I wanted to give credit to iOS original titles – that is, fun, compelling and high quality games that first appeared on the iOS platform. The following games were chosen for the following reasons: they make use of the touch screen and multitouch well, they have excellent graphics and sounds, and they bring something new and/or great to their respective genres. I highly recommend that you put them on your app shopping list.
Completely free, these new levels should keep Jelly Defense fans busy this Christmas. Ho-ho-ho!
Game: Jelly Defense (Universal)
Developer/Pubisher: Infinite Dreams
Magic Defenders is not your usual castle defense game – thanks to its cleverly executed and fast-paced gameplay, a bit of RPG-type character customization and a charming and quirky art style offers a much needed break from the monotony and familiarity of the genre.
Because it’s the season to be jolly, some great games have gone on sale early into the Yuletide season!
1) Pound for Pound (Universal/FREE) – Manny Pacquiao fans might want to check out this boxing game with an RPG flavor, to throw some fancy punches, rescue a damsel in distress and be Pacquiao for a few hours. The game needs some work in the controls department, but as far as likeness goes, this freebie for a limited time is a must for Pacquiao fans.
2) EPOCH (Universal/$2.99) – Apple’s former Game of the Week for iPad is a futuristic, cover shooting action game boasting of some pretty gorgeous graphics courtesy of UnrealEngine, the guys behind Infinity Blade. Now that it’s on sale for a limited time, make sure you don’t miss it!
3) Mirror’s Edge for iPad (iPad/FREE) – You gotta love EA for their daily freebies! Mirror’s Edge is a platform game where the Runners (such as Faith, the character you’ll be playing) are the last bastion of freedom in a dystopian future. You can do some pretty fancy running and jumping tricks while admiring the city scenery. The iPhone version is also FREE!
4) Flight Control HD (iPad/FREE) – This is the game that launched a thousand line drawing games. As part of EA’s freebie deals, this retro-inspired iOS classic is one for the books. The iPhone version is also FREE.
EA’s other games are also on sale, including Dead Space, Apple’s iPad Game of the Year pick, so don’t forget to visit the EA page in the App Store.
The unique time management gameplay of the Farm Frenzy series is back in a bigger, sleeker and better package. Fans of the series will feel at home; newcomers can jump right in and enjoy themselves. Farm Frenzy 2 – Pizza Party HD is highly recommended for casual gamers!
Just when you thought the massive Thanksgiving holiday app shopping spree was over, this weekend is just full of more surprises and great deals! There are so many to choose from, but here are some handpicked appSIZED recommendations:
1) Shift 2 Unleashed (iPhone/iPad) – Love racing? Love the Need for Speed series? Then you wouldn’t want to miss EA Mobile’s freebie of the day. Yup, you read it right – it’s FREE.
2) Ninjatown: Trees of Doom (iPhone/iPad) – Climb your way to the top, ninja-style, in this utterly charming game kids will also love. The game is FREE for a limited time to celebrate Venan Entertainment’s new game, Book of Heroes for the iPhone.
3) Unlikely Suspects HD: Full (iPad) – Hidden object adventure fans with a penchant for crime solving ought to check out this interesting title from MumboJumbo games, now on sale for $2.99 only. You might want to check out their other titles, such as the Luxor series and Midnight Mysteries titles, which are also on sale.
4) Space Miner (iPhone/iPad) – One of my favorite games, Space Miner HD makes busting up space rocks awesome thanks to its deep gameplay and wicked sense of humor. The fact that it’s FREE this weekend only is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so grab it now.
The stunning visuals, mysterious and complex storyline, elegantly simple controls and focused, one-on-one combat made Infinity Blade phenomenally successful. Sink your teeth into this incredible sequel, and see for yourself why Infinity Blade II raises the bar even higher for iOS and mobile gaming.
The tyrant god-king, wields the extremely powerful Infinity Blade to perpetuate his reign and draws strength from our hero’s bloodline. Infinity Blade was a never ending cycle of fighting enemies and gaining strength in order to ultimately defeat the god-king. In the hotly anticipated sequel, Infinity Blade II, the storyline delves deeper into the mysterious Deathless ones (introduced in the first, via complex route of exploring the game’s secrets) and our hero’s mysterious origins. Our hero seeks not only to avenge the death of his father (Infinity Blade), but also free the Worker of Secrets from the hands of the Deathless, in order to learn the truth about himself and his bloodline.