There aren’t enough marble shooter games for the iPhone and iPad, but fortunately we have Luxor 2 HD to make up for the quality, if not the quantity. Amid the proliferation of Zuma wannabes, this classic PC port stands on its own shiny merits.
It was not easy coming up with appSIZED’s Top 10 games for 2011. This year, I wanted to give credit to iOS original titles – that is, fun, compelling and high quality games that first appeared on the iOS platform. The following games were chosen for the following reasons: they make use of the touch screen and multitouch well, they have excellent graphics and sounds, and they bring something new and/or great to their respective genres. I highly recommend that you put them on your app shopping list.
Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi is the spooky, exciting sequel to Salem Witch Trials, an atmospheric hidden object detective thriller that is an exciting mix of history and literature. A must have!
Mark Twain needs your help. A demon is after him, but he doesn’t know why. And what does William Shakespeare have to do with all this?
Midnight Mysteries is a popular series of hidden object/point-and-click detective adventures featuring prominent literary figures. Now ported to the iPad, the first installment came last year with Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials which landed on appSIZED’s list of top 10 games for 2010. Continue reading
Set free the dragons locked by mystical orbs in Dragon Portals HD, a wholesale iPad port of the already beautiful iPhone version, and its unique match three mechanics bolstered by a fantasy storyline and beautiful music.
Very few match three games can claim to be unique, and the genre is dominated by the vertical tile board à la Bejeweled. The developer of Dragon Portals HD, 10 tons ltd, is in fact no stranger to match three games, with the likes of Azkend and Heroes of Kalevala to its credit. Dragon Portals HD, however, is a very different type of match three puzzle game set in the fantasy world of Dragonia.
Hupa-Hupa! HD offers its own refreshing take on the Angry Birds formula thanks to its colorful look and feel, and twists to the gameplay, with just a touch of whimsy. As far as Angry Birds clones or wannabes, Hupa-Hupa! HD is worth a second look.
Hupa-Hupa! HD is not about birds versus pigs, it’s about elephants versus monkeys. Shooting different types of projectiles (rockets) from an elephant’s butt to take out enemy monkeys is the game here, and you only have a certain number of rockets per level.
Awesome games and apps are on sale today! Here are appSIZED’s top 3 picks:
Word vs. Word is a challenging and unique word puzzle game with a Mastermind-like twist – it’s sure to tickle your brain cells and a fun game to play with your friends.
Want a challenging word game for your iOS device? This game is just right for you! Word vs Word is a word guessing game with a touch of Mastermind — a code breaking game played with colored pegs. You can play Word vs Word against a friend, a random opponent or you can go solo. When you start the game, the words are categorized into Easy (3 letter and 4 letter word), Medium (5 letter and 6 letter word) and Hard (7 letter and 8 letter word).
There are a number of awesome games on sale today, and here are appSIZED’s top 3 picks:
1) Puzzle Quest HD ($1.99/iPad) – This award winning game is not just about match three, combo and tile elimination goodness,it’s also an excellent action/adventure game with a solid storyline. Don’t let this massive price drop from $4.99 go unnoticed!
2) Gamebook Adventures (All titles $2.99 only/Universal) – If you are looking for an excellent read that’s interactive at the same time, look no further than this excellent fantasy adventure series which puts you in control of the story. Take advantage of the 50% off rate on all Gamebook titles and stay tuned for the upcoming Temple of the Spider God Gamebook, out in November! Meanwhile, here are the gamebooks on sale:
3) Stand O’Food (Free/iPhone) – Time management games fiends, this unique food assembly game is a test of your skills, reflexes and efficiency. Think you have what it takes to slap a couple of burgers and drinks together? Think again.
If I missed anything, feel free to post in the comments section.
It’s a massive sale weekend in celebration of the launch of iOS 5 and iPhone 4S.
Gameloft’s games are on sale for only $0.99 this weekend, so make sure you check them out as well.
1) PhatPad for iPad (iPad) – What makes PhatPad stand out is its sophisticated handwriting to text digital conversion technology which is pretty awesome. This notes app is only $0.99 until October 18 and comes with a massive update. Don’t forget to grab it if you’re in search of the perfect note taking app for school or work.
2) Hector Ep1: We Negotiate With Terrorists (iPad) – Alll the episodes are down to $2.99. Hector is lewd, crude and loads of fun. Coming from Telltale Games, expect nothing less than the best.
3) Aralon: Sword and Shadow (Universal) – This epic of an action adventure RPG game is on sale for only $0.99 – so show your iPhone/iPod and iPad some love.
4) Spider: Bryce Manor HD (iPad) – This critically acclaimed and award winning game is beloved by gamers, and was declared by Touch Arcade as iPhone Game of the Year in 2009. The gorgeous iPad version is finally on sale for just $1.99.
It was hard to pick just four games and apps, so if you have suggestions, please leave a message.
Happy (app) shopping!
Great games go on sale everyday so stay tuned to appSIZED for daily picks!